Sundays are my favorite day of the week. I think they have been from childhood, but it's funny to me how different Sundays are today than they were when I was a child.
I'm aging myself here, but when I was a child, there was such a thing as "blue laws". For those of you a bit younger than myself and not knowledgeable about what a blue law is, go here. For the rest of you as old as I am, you know what that means. It means that there was no going to the mall on Sunday, or Walmart, or Joann Fabrics, or anything like that. You went to church, you came home and had lunch, and you hung out at home or did something really exciting like take a Sunday drive with your parents to see their "stomping grounds" from childhood. At the time, I'm sure that was incredibly boring. As for the value now, I'd love to take just one more of those Sunday drives, if I could, with my dad.
Anyway, that was what you did on Sunday. You didn't do things like clean out the garage, mow the lawn, or sew, or crochet, or anything like that, because that was too close to work, and it was Sunday, the day of rest. I remember when blue laws began to be repealed in Texas. At the time it was an exciting thing, becuase hey, you could shop on Sunday!! Now, with a bit of wisdom, I hope, on my side, and a bit of nostalgia for what used to be, I kind of miss those days when you spent the day with your family if for no other reason than that there was nothing else to do.
Still today, my favorite Sundays are the ones where we spend the day at ease: going to church then lunch then hanging out doing stuff at home like playing outside, going to the park, or out to ride bikes, or even taking the all too rare nap, like I did today. All too often Sundays get filled up, like every other day, with the hustle and bustle of running errands, doing chores, and all that.
Today, today was a gift.
Sunday, May 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment