Tuesday, May 13, 2008

End of an era

Okay, maybe it's not quite that extreme, but it feels like it! I am officially no longer head of the chapter of Project Linus that I started 3 and a half years ago.
I made the decision a few months ago to step down from the position, and have someone else step in, and the paperwork was finalized this past week. I think it's a good move for the chapter as the new coordinator has so much energy and passion for the mission of Project Linus, and will grow the chapter, I believe, in ways that I'm simply not able.

At the time that I started this chapter, I was working part time and my children were not yet in school. I am now working full time plus, both children are in school and extracurricular activities, and I am considering going back to school part time myself. To say I have less time than I once did is an understatement.

I started this chapter because I saw a need in my area that wasn't being met, but I had no idea that in trying to fill that need, I would be so blessed myself. I'm not sure I can say in words how much it has meant to be a part of such a phenomenal organization for the past three and a half years. The growth that I have seen in this time is amazing and humbling.

When I first began this chapter, I was quite sure that I would be
constantly hounding the sewing ladies at my church to help me to make blankets and boy was I ever wrong! We have been so blessed over the years to always have plenty of blankets to give to children in need. We were even able to expand our coverage a few months ago to cover a much larger area than we initially began with. I am so proud to say that in the past 3.5 years, we have donated almost 3000 blankets to kids in hospitals, in foster care, or otherwise affected by tragedies in their lives.

I have been fortunate in a way that not all coordinators are, I think. As an attorney who represents many children who have been removed from their homes becasue of abuse or neglect, and have been placed in a strange and unfamiliar place, I have been able to personally see the comfort that a colorful handmade blanket can provide. Many times it has almost brought tears to my eyes. I am involved in the situation with the children removed from the FLDS compound, and was in court for the hearing. While on my way to the courthouse, I was listening to a local radio station, and they were talking about a local church who was holding a quilting marathon with the goal of making blankets for each child removed. I was so proud to know that Project Linus, as an organization, had already met that need, and in record time!

It is with sadness that I step down, but with assurance that I am
leaving this chapter in the capable hands of Theresa, who has so much passion for the Project Linus mission.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wondered if you were involved with the children removed from the FDLS compound.

You should be proud of the work you've done with Project Linus for the last 3 and a half years. And just because you're stepping down does not mean you can't still be involved -- as much as your time allows!