Thursday, August 28, 2008

The word of the day is sacrifice

In my job, I see a lot of selfish people. People who are more concerned about their own desires and wants than they are about their own children. These desires and needs take many forms. Often they are drugs, alcohol, boyfriends or girlfriends. Whatever the desire is, the end result is the same: children who are abused, and neglected, and ultimately damaged and unloved.

Rarely, rarely do I see parents who do the right thing for the right reasons. Parents who sacrifice their own wishes, and their own wants, for what is in the long term best interest of their children. Who give those children up, not because they want to, not because they don't love them, but because giving them to someone better able to take care of them is the greatest gift that they can give to them.

I saw that type of selflessness and sacrifice today, and it broke my heart.

I will lift up a prayer tonight for this family who gave so very much of themselves today. I hope one day their children truly realize the great gift that they've been given, and the great love of the people who gave it to them.

No comments: