In my line of work, I often read articles about, and hear psychologists speak of the damage that is done to childrens' brains when they experience trauma or observe abuse, or such. Such trauma can actually keep the brain from developing as it should, and even change the size of the brain, and the way that it works. I get that, I do.
I guess I just never thought too much about the flip side of that premise.
The idea that seeing happy and good things, and experiencing laughter and love, helps those same little brains to grow, and to develop.
Mike and I picked Christian up from the airport this afternoon from a trip he had taken with his aunt and his cousin. He's going to spend the next couple of weeks, the last before school starts back, with us.
As we were sitting at the dinner table tonight, we somehow got onto the topic of nicknames that the kids each had when they were babies and toddlers, which led to stories of some of the funny things that Christian used to say when he was a toddler. These were stories that Aaron and Clayton had never heard, and that, quite honestly, I hadn't thought of in years. We all laughed so much, and in those moments, I thought, "This right here, this is real family bonding. This is how you grow strong loving men. This right here."
Wednesday, August 06, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment