Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day of School







And yes, I cried. Did you expect anything less?

Even Dad seemed to get a bit choked up, but not to the same magnitude. Of course, I also cried yesterday at the thought of Clayton going through the lunch line by himself because, "He's too little!!" sob, sob.

Actually, I did really well until the very end, when I saw another mom getting choked up, then I lost it. I managed to get control of myself long enough, however, to go give Clayton a hug and kiss and well wish for the day. He was doing pretty well, but for the little girl sitting next to him, who was a sobbing basket case. You could see the little wheels in his head turning, "Wait, should I be crying? Is that what you are supposed to do?" We left before he decided maybe he should join in.

Aaron, alas, is an old pro by now, and by all accounts, got the short end of the stick as far as parental attention goes. We did take him to his classroom, help him find the correct hook for his backpack, get him in his chair, but then we were out of there to take Clayton.

We went back an hour later for the flag raising ceremony, which was done by Aaron and his fellow Cub Scouts. It was a particularly historic ceremony, as this was the first time for the flag to be raised at this new school. The boys did great. And by that time, Clayton looked like a pro at the whole school thing.

And nary one tear from Mom.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaaah...I think I'm getting choked up and Gaby doesn't even start school until tomorrow!

Cheryl said...

And you're pregnant to boot. Just wait!

Pattypor said...

The boys looked so cute outside of the school.

Aaron was born an old soul and sometimes it's hard to remember that he's "only" 8 so it's not as hard watching him get older. The picture of Clayton outside his class makes me want to freeze time.

Cheryl said...

It does get me when I see pictures of Aaron from kindergarten, and think how much he's grown.

But yes, Clayton getting older is in many ways harder. He is my bay-bee, you know.