Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My new favorite food

We planted a really big vegetable garden this year. You may have forgotten that, as I've only mentioned it one or two or three times. Umm, make that four times.

Yes, clearly, I need a new topic of conversation. Anyway, in this oft-mentioned and photographed garden, I planted some old favorites, but also planted spaghetti squash. Now, understand that I had never before eaten spaghetti squash, much less grown it, but a guy I work with was just raving about it, so I thought, hey, let's just buy a pack of seeds and see what we come up with.

Well, a lot, as it turns out. Much of the garden plot that we planted in the ground (as opposed to in the raised bed) has been overrun with grass and too much heat, and thus pretty much quit growing. But not the spaghetti squash. The spaghetti squash, she is a hardy crop. And tasty. Just steam those puppies in the microwave, scrape out the stringy goodness, add real butter and garlic pepper, and you have yourself a feast. This will definitely be a crop I plant again next year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE spaghetti squash. It's really good sauted with garlic and olive oil, and some tomatoes thrown in, too.

Cheryl said...

That sounds good. Do you cut it up, or steam it first?

Anonymous said...

Oh, always steam it first. Because you want the squash to be stringy like spaghetti. Then scoop it out, and sautee.
Wish someone else in my house would eat it. Neither Ernie or Gaby will touch it.

Cheryl said...

Okay, that makes sense. I'll try that. You know, surprisingly, Aaron really likes it. I say surprisingly because he is such a picky eater. Mike likes it also, but he's not as big a butter fan as I am, so he's probably like it better the way you suggest. I'll definitely try that next time.