Thursday, July 03, 2008

Took me a dose of that there courage yesterday

Or perhaps it was stupidity. In any case, Aaron and I went back to Six Flags yesterday. It was actually a nicer experience than the trip two weeks ago, as it was just the two of us, and we rode whatever we wanted to ride, without having to worry about what everyone else was wanting to do. It streamlined the process a great deal.

Aaron was really wanting to ride The Batman ride. I refused to ride it the last time we were there because:
  1. it was scary looking
  2. it was high
  3. it goes upside down.

These are all problems because:

  1. I'm a chicken
  2. I'm afraid of heights
  3. I prefer to remain right side up, thank you

But yesterday, I decided to face my fears, and ride it with Aaron. I had been looking at it while on other rides, and determined that it really wasn't all that high. And besides, you were only upside down for a second. And also, hey, it's attached at the top, rather than the bottom. When I lived in Houston, AstroWorld had this really non-scary rollercoaster that attached at the top rather than the bottom. I decided this ride was probably much like that one.

Yeah, that was delusion talking.

We get on the ride. I become a bit concerned when I see the bin that holds the shoes of anyone who didn't wear the types of shoes that fasten on really tight like tennis shoes. But hey, it's still okay. And then we get buckled in. Hmmm, beginning to feel just a bit claustrophic here. Did I mention that's another phobia?

And then it takes off. And we start to go up. And up. And up. I look over to the side and say to myself, "Hey, Cheryl, this is a whole lot higher than it looked like on the ground." And then I closed my eyes. Which unfortunately did not help to in fact close my ears to all the screaming going on around me. Or the flying through the air thing. Umm, yeah, that was intense.

I'm pretty sure a prayer or two was uttered during the ride, but quite honestly, I have a bit of amnesia about the whole thing. When the ride stopped, my heart was beating so fast and so hard, I'm pretty sure that the people waiting in line could hear it. And my hands were shaking. We're not talking a little tremor. We're talking full-blown spill coffee if you were holding it, shakes. It was ugly.

And Aaron? Loved it. Absolutely adored it, and wanted to get right back in line and ride it a second time. What do you think the chances are that happened?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are braver than me! Ernie suckered me onto one of those coasters ONCE. Gaby will have to ride them with him, because I'm not getting on another one.