Monday, April 13, 2009

And last but not least, garden pictures

As we (actually he) was planting the garden, Mike asked if I planned to post pictures of the garden on my blog and talk about all the work that I had done.

He's learned a lot in almost 11 years, huh? Actually he does most of the work on the garden each year. I make a plan of what to plant and go buy the plants and then lay them out. He tills the ground, makes the rows, plants the plants and seeds, and waters the garden. I occasionally weed it, and we both pick the vegetables. Oh, and I take pictures and post them on my blog.

Anyway, here are the first garden pictures of the year. Mike, posing in what can only be characterized as a disturbing stance.

The newly planted plot. In this plot are canteloupes, watermelons, cucumbers, yellow squash, zucchini squash, spaghetti squash, and red, yellow and white onions:

Here in the raised bed are several different varieties of tomatoes and peppers, both sweet and hot:


I plant my garden every year on Good Friday. I do so because that was the day my Dad always planted his garden, and so doing so always makes me feel closer to him. But this year, I decided to be radical and plant it a week early because hey, it's been really warm around here lately. And then we had a record April freeze. But of course. The plants seemed to have survived though, at least for the most part, as Mike covered everything.
Next year, though? I'm waiting until Good Friday. Because clearly my dad knew what he was doing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Listening to Dad -- that's a good thing to remember. :) He was probably yelling "why are you planting so early?"
Am jealous you can get stuff in the ground already. We're a month away from that here. How much room does the squash take?

Cheryl said...

The squash doesn't take a ton of room. I usually plant 3 to 4 seeds a few inches apart, and although I should probably thin out, I never do. Squash is one of the easier vegetables to grow, and will produce a great deal from one plant.