Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Keep them close

The last couple of weeks have been difficult ones, full of sadness for many friends, and it keeps getting worse rather than better. I found out a couple of weeks ago that a friend lost her mother right before Thanksgiving, and then last week, my friend Shannon lost her grandfather.

Last Tuesday, a family here in town was involved in a fatal car accident. The father was severely injured, the 10 year old girl was killed, and the 8 year old girl, who goes to school with Aaron, is still in the hospital with injuries of her own, and only recently became conscious and learned of the death of her sister, which she still has not been able to accept. The mother is devastated and doing the best that she can to stay strong for her husband and surviving daughter.

And then I learned a few minutes ago that the recently prematurely born baby of one of our Cub Scout leaders died this morning.

My heart hurts for all these people and their deep losses. My prayers have at times been with few words because I just haven't known what to say. All I want to do is to keep my own family close to me and to make sure that they know how very much that I love them.

Give your own kids and loved ones a hug today and let them know how much they mean to you. Life is immeasurably short, and sometimes ends long before you expect it.

No comments: