So it's always hard to know whether you should always be honest with your kids, or at times softsoap, or even lie, about things to keep from hurting their feelings. I had that issue last week. Limey, our fish of almost two years (yes, it is amazing for a beta) went to the big fishbowl in the sky. I knew it was happening as he was obviously ailing for a few days there. So I debated. Do I tell the kids the truth and deal with the heartbreak, especially from Mr. Sensitive, or do I go to Walmart, try to find another that looks just like Limey, and replace him. Mike and I talked about, thought about it, and finally decided to tell them the truth. So, come Saturday morning, when Limey appeared to have gone on, we told the kids, then proceeded to "bury" him in our pond. Oh, the sobbing. I really was regretting being honest. Aaron wrote letters to Limey all the way to Houston, and again that afternoon, got very sad while eating. I asked him what was the matter, and he said he was sad about Limey and asked if he had died that morning or the night before. I told him I wasn't completely sure, as Limey had actually been sick for several days. "I should have known he was sick," Aaron replied, in all seriousness. Sheesh.
Anyway, we went to Walmart today and picked out a new fish. Then was was was red, rather than blue like Limey, and his official name is Patrick Redfish.
Welcome home, Patrick!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
Welcome home, Patrick. Poor Aaron. It must be hard being so sensitive.
Post a Comment