Friday, January 16, 2009

A letter to my firstborn

Dear Aaron,

9 years ago today, at 3:08 in the morning, you entered my life, changing it forever. I remember being so drugged up, and so exhausted, that I could hardly stay awake, and my arms being so numb that I could barely hold you when Daddy brought you into the recovery room to see me. I remember when the nurses wheeled me by the nursery on my way to the room. I asked if you were cute, and they said you were, and commented on all your black hair and your long, long eyelashes. And they were right. You were terribly cute, and you still have those fabulous eyelashes.

I will never forget that first day in the hospital, when One Grandma was sitting by the wall holding you, making your Aunt Susan so jealous because she couldn't hold you because of a sinus infection. I said something, and you turned your head toward the sound of my voice, as though you recognized it, and wondered what in the world I was doing so far away from you.

I remember all the feelings that I had for you in those first weeks, even the ones of being overwhelemed, exhausted, and frustrated. But the ones that I remember most are the hours I would spend just staring at you sleeping, and wondering who and what you would become. I still do that at times. I come into your room, and I stroke the cheek of you and your little brother, and I pray over each of you. I pray that you boys will grow into Godly men who will love their wives, and love their children, and act in ways that will glorify Him. And I wonder, still, who and what you will become.

You are the most amazing 9 year old I have ever known, and each and every day with you has been a gift. Thank you for choosing me as your Mommy, sweet boy!

No comments: