I took Aaron back to the asthma/allergy specialist this Monday for a follow up. On the way, we stopped and got some chest x-rays. The dr. is waiting on the formal report from the radiologist, but based on looking at the cd of the x-rays that they took, he believes that most of the silica junk has cleared from his lungs, although there may be a little residue that still has not worked its way out. His lungs are still "big" though not in an unexpected way for someone with asthma. They also did another lung function test. I didn't think to ask the results on it, but the results of the test, in conjunction with the size of his lungs, leads the dr. to say that he does have asthma. It appears that it is being controlled well with the twice daily inhaled steroids. We've only used the Xopanex rescue inhaler three times in the last month, and only because he seemed to me to be breathing a bit hard.
Based on what the dr. was saying, I asked him if it was possible that Aaron has actually had asthma for quite some time, and we just never knew about it until he had this reaction that was so extreme that they started evaluating him, and he said yes, that was extremely likely. Apparently it's not that unusual to have that happen.
In any case, he is doing well, so we are going to continue the meds that he has been taking, and go back in three months for a follow up.
On a lighter note, I had to take him out of school early for the x-ray and appointment. I usually get a note from the dr. for the school, but I forgot this time. I offered to provide the school secretary with a picture of Aaron's lungs, to show where we had been, but she declined. Not sure what that was about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment