Thursday, July 27, 2006

So I'm pretty sure

that some practical joker sent us this turkey just to see how we would react to it. I posted a couple of weeks ago about our reactions to it falling off the roof. Well, not long after that, it left (imagine that), and we hadn't seen it for quite some time. Until today. I walked out of my office to go into the house, and there she is. By the fence between the two parts of our property. And then I realize that she is on the wrong side of the fence, i.e., the house side, where the dogs are. I look around for the dogs, don't see them, and assume they are probably under the house or on the porch trying to get out of the heat. So I walk over to her, seeing if she will let me get close enough to her to pick her up and hoist her over the fence onto the other side. She picks up speed, and I proceed to get into a fast walking chase. We go around several trees before she changes direction. I finally get smart and open the gate to the other side, and get behind her, and "chase" her in that direction, where she ducks through. I close and lock the gate, with the full assurance that I, with all my years of higher education, have managed to outsmart the turkey. The funny thing is, I'm sure she was thinking quite the same thing about me.

No comments: