Thursday, February 05, 2009

A day to speak out

Yesterday was Voices for Change Day at the Capitol, and in honor of that, Aaron and I boarded a bus at 4:15 yesterday morning, along with about 75 or so others from our area, and headed to Austin for a day filled with a march to the Capitol, amidst chants of "Put Kids First" and sessions with our Senator's office and two state representatives offices, to lobby for changes to existing laws, or for new laws, to protect and provide for various issues concerning the children of our state.

It was a fascinating experience. I learned several things along the way, and it is an experience, I believe, that Aaron will remember for a lifetime.

Here we are at the Capitol Gate, along our march:

And here is Aaron, outside the office of our State Senator


I don't know if there was any effect at all on our legislators, but I firmly belive that if nothing else came out of yesterday's trip, it was still all worth it, because of the lesson Aaron learned that everyone has a voice, if they are only bold enough and proactive enough, to use it.
He was asked by one staffer if he had anything to say, and after some thought, his answer was, "I just want kids to have rights." You said a mouthful, buddy.

No comments: