It's been a busy couple of weeks around here. I went to a seminar last week on the prevention of child abuse, which was really quite good. I learned several things, some of which scared me, to be quite honest. As a result though, I may end up teaching a class at my church to parents on keeping their children safe, which I think will be just great. Unfortunately, too many people simply don't want to deal with tough issues with their kids like that of child molestors, so I'm hoping this will be good for some people.
Also, at this seminar, I learned that toddlers are cavemen. For real. I mean, on some level, I already knew that, but that was reaffirmed for me at one of the workshops that I went to by a pediatrican in California, with this method for calming toddlers having a tantrum:
"Use very short phrases. Long sentences are tough for stressed out toddlers to comprehend. Stick with one- to three-word phrases (three to five words for verbal toddlers). Second, repeat those phrases over and over. Young children often need five to ten repetitions to get their attention and focus on what you are saying. Finally, be an actor. How you say your words is even more important than what you say. Match your tone of voice, facial expressions, and body gestures to her level of emotion. Pout, wave your arms, furrow your brow and dramatically echo her complaints to show you understand exactly how your toddler feels." http://www.thehappiestbaby.com/toddlers.htm
So anyway, I decide to try this theory with Clayton that very night when he has a temper tantrum over wanting a candy bar. I do the loud tone, the facial expressions. I pout, I wave my arms. I generally act like a three year old. It would have been great. Would have been, that's the key. You see, Aaron, my 6 year old was sitting right beside me while I was doing this, and he was not appreciative. "Stop talking to him like that!" he says. Here's me, "Aaron, shh, I'm trying to talk to Clayton." Here goes mom again waving arms, emoting. Aaron: "Stop doing that!!!" Now he's starting to emote. Meanwhile Clayton is not only having a temper tantrum, but wondering what in the world is going on between his mother and big brother. Sigh, so much for creative parenting.
On another front, I've received more than 500 blankets for Project Linus in the last week and a half. My sewing room floor is literally covered with trashbags full of blankets. I've been trying to keep them stacked neatly, but that's somewhat difficult when Aaron and Clayton so enjoy going body surfing through the bags. I've been busy labeling and sorting said blankets all week, and will be taking about 150 on Friday to various police stations, fire stations, and battered women's shelters, so they will go to good use.




No comments:
Post a Comment