Friday, August 26, 2005

And did I mention

that no one ever tells you when you bring that fuzzy little bundle of joy home from the hospital, that there will be so many hard decisions to make in their lives?

As I've said, I took Aaron Monday to Sylvan for academic testing. Well, I went back Wednesday to get the results, and it turns out (okay, it's not that much of a shock), that he's really bright. I started this whole testing process because about 3 months ago, we realized that he had in fact taught himself to read. I mean really read. Like the kid can read the newspaper. It's really kind of disconcerting at times, lol. Anyway, so I decided to see how well he really was reading, and whether or not he was advanced in other areas as well. It seems that he is reading at a 4th grade level and doing math at almost a second grade level. He's also in the 95th percentile in many other areas. So the next question is, okay, what now. I've been talking to the gifted and talented coordinator at our local school district, and have been so impressed with her, I have to say. She wants to meet Aaron and talk to him, and now I just have to decide whether it's best for him to leave him where he is in his private kindergarten at his daycare, or move him here to the public school. I'm still really thinking on that one. Anyway, the most interesting and helpful thing that I learned from her is that the characteristics that Mike and I had always thought were indications that he was socially immature, such as being uncomfortable around large groups of kids, preferring the company of adults over kids, and liking to be alone quite a bit, actually are characteristics of very intelligent children. That actually made me feel better than just about anything, lol. So anyway, that's where we are!

No comments: