Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What it all boils down to

You know, sometimes we adults make things way more complicated than they should be. We should surely listen to our kids far more than what we do. Sometimes their ideas seem very simplistic, or unrealistic, or even just "kid-like" but sometimes they just really hit things at the core.

Clayton's teacher is getting married next week, and this afternoon the students are giving her a "wedding shower." One of the things that the class mom asked was that all of the students make her a card. So, last night, Clayton and I get out the construciton paper, the stamps, the stickers, and the crayons and get to work.

At one point, he asks me if I can write the card for him. I told him that he needed to write it, but that I would write what he wanted to say on a different piece of paper so that he would be able to copy it into his card. He was okay with that, so I ask him what he wants to say. I'm thinking he's going to say, "Have a nice wedding" or something along those lines. But no, he wanted to write, "I hope you like your husband."

I had to stifle a laugh, because, as funny as it was, it was actually quite a good thought. I hope you like your husband. Not a bad way to start a marriage, really, when it comes down to it.

No comments: