I believe I have mentioned before that Aaron has a very definite sense of right and wrong and a very strong sense of fairness.
The other day, he and I went to the public library, and while there, one of the books that he picked out to read was called "I am Rosa Parks." So we're in the car, on our way to go see some of my kid clients, and Aaron is reading the book. The conversation goes like this:
Aaron: Mom, what are white people and colored people?
Me: Baby, those are terms that people used to use to describe people that had peach skin and brown skin, but they're not very nice terms, so we don't use them anymore.
He reads on, until:
Aaron: Mom, did you know that people with peach skin and brown skin had to use different bathrooms?
Me: Yes, I did. People thought that people with brown skin were different from people with peach skin, so they made them use different bathrooms and water fountains, and treated them differently, but we know now that there's not any difference between people with peach skin and brown skin.
Aaron: I think the world is better now.
Me: In some ways, yes it is, and in some ways it isn't.
Aaron: But the world still isn't fair.
Me: Oh, why not?
Aaron: Because boys and girls still have to use different bathrooms.
Me: (yep, I was good at coming up to an answer to that one without wrecking from the laughter) Well, baby, people made people with peach skin and people with brown skin use different bathrooms because they thought they were different, but they really aren't. Boys and girls really are different. You know though, what a person is like doesn't have anything to do though with what color their skin is, or whether they are a boy or girl. What matters is what is in their heart.
Aaron: I respect everyone.
As well you should, son, as well you should.
Friday, September 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment